Question
Posted by: Mab | 2012-02-05

Milk and milk substitutes

Dear Diet Doc,

I am a 58 yr old female type 2 Diabetic and obviously have to watch my weight. I also take a statin for hypercholesterolaemia. My question is I LOVE milk and dairy products. Can you please tell me which product would allow me to indulge my love of milk.

1. Fat free dairy milk
2. Spar soya liquid milk
3. MA soya liquid milk
4. Oat milk - powder found at Dischem
5. Rice milk - powder found at Dischem
I use milk for smoothies, enjoy it in tea &  coffee, cereals and a glass before I go to sleep. It could mean 1 - 11/2L per day.

Many thanks.

Dear Mab
From what you say, it is evident that you have not consulted a registered dietitian for an individual diabetic diet prescription. This is vital because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. Now as regards your love of milk. If you use fat-free dairy milk it only contains 0,2 g of fat and 2 mg of cholesterol per 100 ml. If you compare these values to full-cream milk which contains 3.3 g of fat and 14 mg of cholesterol per 100 ml, then you will see that fat-free cow's milk is not going to pose a problem in relation to your hypercholesterolaemia. There is thus no need to switch to all the other milk substitutes you have listed. Now an important question is if you are a vegetarian and use milk as your only source of protein??? If you are not a vegetarian and do not need to rely on milk to provide your protein, then having up to 1,5 litres of fat-free cow's milk a day, is overdoing your milk intake. Just because a food or a nutrient is healthy and good for us, does not mean that we should have an excessive intake - more is not always better. 1.5 Litres of fat-free milk provides 2190 kJ, which respectively represents 26,1% (standard diet) or 34,8% (weight-reduction diet) of your daily energy allowance if you are on a standard diabetic diet or a diabetic diet to induce weightloss. I would recommend that you stick to having only 1 litre of milk a day, even if you use fat-free milk because 4 servings of milk and dairy products is more than adequate for good health.
Please make a plan to consult a registered dietitian so that she/he can work out an individual diabetic diet prescription for you.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2012-02-06

Dear Mab