Question

Milk Allergies

Dear Doc
My 5year old child is allergic to milk. Now, the doctors haven' t figured out FOR WHAT exactly, the lactose or proteins in milk. The only symptoms my boy had was Vomiting after consuming milk and yoghurt. He also drank Nutren Jnr occasionally that also gave symptoms, but Nutren Jnr is lactose AND gluten free.

I have a list of all the ingredients in products to look out for for milk allergies / lactose intollerance.

I' m asking you what milk/dairy products is there on the market that I can buy for him?

Dear Anon
From what you say I would deduce that your lad may be allergic to one or more proteins in milk and dairy products seeing that he reacted to the Nutren Jnr which is lactose free and yoghurt which contains hardly any lactose. It would, therefore, be prudent to avoid all products that contain milk and/or dairy products. You lad does, however, still need a source of calcium in his diet to ensure that he grows properly. You should be able to obtain soya milk and yoghurt at most supermarkets - just check that they have been fortified with calcium to supply approx. 1 mg of calcium per ml of the milk. If this is not the case, then do give him a paediatric calcium supplement (buy at chemist). click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Food-related diseases' to read the articles on milk allergy. Also visit the SA Allergy Association Website at: www.allallergy.co.za . For milk-free recipes you can try the 'South African Cookbook for Food Allergies & Food Intolerance" by Hilda Lategan. Contact
Hilda Lategan, who is also a dietitian, on (012) 546-6410 or send her an e-mail at: mwhildal@mweb.co.za .

1
Posted by: tienks | 2009/02/25

My 7 year old son has been diagnose with a milk allergie. Is it the same if they would take blood for Gluten allergies? He struggles to put on weight, is active but not hiper active. He get a rash all over is body the last 6 weeks, especially in the evenings, small nodules that looks like flee bites, after a bath it will get worse and itches incredible. He has no fomiting, stomache ache or diarea. what other symptoms will a person have wilth milk allegies.

Reply to tienks