Question
Posted by: HMom | 2012/02/09

milk

Hi Dietdoc,
I have a little girl that has just turned 3. She still LOVES her milk bottle in the night. He initial one is 150ml, then she wants another one which i give her - another 120 or so then she wants ANOTHER which i give her which is about 50ml - is this bad for her? It is low fat or 2%?
Just to mention she isnt a child who drinks milkshakes or ice cream or anything - onlyl a tub of yoghur at 14:30 for a snack at school....

Dear HMom
I do hope that your lassie is not drinking these 3 bottles and the 320 ml of milk during the night or that she sleeps with the bottle in her mouth. This is one of the prime causes of "baby bottle tooth decay". I would urge you to discuss this problem with your daughter and get her to stop drinking milk from a baby bottle as this can not only affect her teeth, but also her soft palate, the shape of her mouth and eventually even her speech. Children at the age of 3 years generally no longer drink from a bottle, but drink from a cup. You don't mention if this relatively large amount of milk has affected your child's eating habits or weight?? If she has the 320 ml of low-fat milk every evening and is still eating a variety of other foods so that she ingests a balanced diet and if she is not gaining weight then the milk is probably not interfering with her nutrient and food intake, but I would recommend that you spread it over the day (100 ml respectively at breakfast, lunch and supper), rather than to give her the full amount at night.

1

Dear HMom