Question
Posted by: Mom | 2011/04/15

Milk

Dear Doc

My litle boy was on Nido1and he has just turned 3 and I changed to Nido3 and to my suprise he reacts to it. It makes him cough, I have tested this and at the end I realised that its the milk. He does not like the usual full cream milk we use, can I give him nesquick as a form of milk?...Thanks

Dear Mom
With Nesquick, do you mean a mixture of cacao and milk power? If so, I would not recommend this as a milk substitute for your 3-year-old son. If he develops phlegm when drinking cow's milk, then you can try him on soy milk, but check that the soy milk is fortified with calcium otherwise he could develop a calcium deficiency. Milk and yoghurt contain about 1 mg of calcium per ml, so a 100 ml of soy milk should also provide about 100 mg of calcium. Also test to see if using yoghurt causes the phlegm reaction. If not, this would be a good substitute for milk.

1

Dear Mom