Posted by: Cheryl | 2012-06-03

Mild heart attack/stroke

My mother of 78 suffered a mild heart attack a week ago. She was hospitalised (gov) for 4 days. She was discharged and the family were given no meds for her or advice on way forward. She has since coming home experienced severe headaches on the one side of her head when she wakes up. What causes this, will it go away and what can we do for her? Is it life threatening and/or a side effect of the heart attack. Please help thanks

I am uncertain about the cause for her headaches. A stroke does not present with headaches. I suggest that your mother consults a cardiologist to determine if she needs to take chronic medication for her heart. If she had a heart attack, she should have received medication when discharged.