Posted by: anonymous | 2009-10-09

mild acne at 35

I have suffered from moderate/severe acne since a teenager. It has become less since I became an adult, but I still have flare-ups and scarring. My doctor suggested a low dose of roaccutane. The problem is that I have been on Zoloft for the past year for depression and also taking anti-anxiety tablets. I have seen that one of the side effects of roaccutane is depression. How will these medication interact? Thanks

Dear Anonymous
If you haven't tried it already, rather try a topical antibiotic lotion like Eryderm and something like Benzac cream first for the flare ups. You could also try topical retinoids ( creams) instead of pills - I would be cautious to use the pills if you have a history of depression.