Question
Posted by: CBT - social anxiety | 2012/05/03

Mike

Hi, I just saw on another post that you suggested they find a psychologist who is SKILLED in CBT. I have been looking for one in Cape Town but its impossible to find out who is actually skilled with CBT. Of course I could try a few and find out but its extremely expensive. Can you recommend anyone or have any suggestions on finding the right one?

I do wish there was an easy answer to this one. You shouldnt need to visit and pay for a session without knowing what methods the shrink uses - I think as a professional ( and in terms of the Consumer Rights laws, a legal ) duty for all shrinks to be frank, both directly and through their receptionists, about what sort of therapy they offer. CBT being the method best supported by good research currently, is one they should be proud to offfer, and their receptionist when anyobne calls to ask, should know and be able to assure you that they do provide that. This also saves you from seeing someone stuck in the past and providing wishy-washy analytical type sessions which ladt forever and get nowhere.
I believe the Anxiety/Depression Support Group website lists a number of shrinks who provide CBT, and I'd expect that FAMSA which links one to many family-oriented therapists and counsellors, should also know who can provide this method.

2
Posted by: Mike | 2012/05/05

Thank you so much for the reply! Keep well

Reply to Mike