Posted by: Kathy | 2009-09-18

Migranes &  Upset Stomach

I regularly get migraines, and it is always accompanied by an upset stomach. I was just wondering, why do migraines cause an upset stomach?

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear Kathy,

Migraines are often accompanied by gastro-intestinal problems such as upset stomach, diarrhoeia, and constipation, however the actual mechanism has not been adequately explained. What is more important though, is that when the cause of the migraine has been successfully diagnosed and treated, these accompanying symptoms automatically disappear.

Headache sufferers often have a poor Quality of Life due to the constant pain and associated symptoms. For a free assessment of how your headaches are affecting your Quality of Life, click on

This information has been supplied and checked by the multidisciplinary team of specialists at The Headache Clinic, in association with The International Headache Society and the South African Institute of Headache and Migraine Science. For consultation with these specialists, call The Headache Clinic on 0861 678 911 (Johannesburg, Cape Town, Durban).