Question
Posted by: BMJ | 2009-10-03

Migraine/thirst/joint pain

Dear Doc

I suffer from classic migraines. I get one every two - three weeks. I have not been able to pinpoint a cause. I have noticed two things though and would appreciate it if you can explain it to me. Every time before I get a severe migraine, I get extremely thirsty and my wrists and ankles (bit much more my wrists) ache for a day or two before the headache. Why is that? The joint pain dissapear once I have had the headache

My second question is that I have significant numbess on the side of my body where the headache occurs (face, neck, chest arm and leg) and pain in mostly the arm and shoulder. This lasts for about 24-36 hours after the headache is gone. Why does it not go away with the pain?

I use maxalt as soon as a headache start and find that if I notice early enough, they help well. But last night the hedache came on while asleep and woke up in major pain and even two doses did not releive the pain and I still have this annoying numbness and I feel all ' foggy' .

Can you help me to understand the symptoms a bit better

BMJ

These symptoms are most likely part of the prodrome of your classical migraine. I do however, suggest that you doctor does a EEG, as well as a CT of your head. It will also be wise to do an ultrasound of the arteries in your neck.