Question
Posted by: Dottie | 2009/10/21

Migraine/stroke/disprins/children

A lot of questions please:
1. 40 years old and had my first migraine at the age of 11, so I have read a lot, asked a lot and lived through it all. My question is that I heard that migraine sufferers have a higher risk for strokes. Is this so?
2. How do I prevent migraines, other than by using fewerfew or other medication?
3. Can I prevent migraines/strokes by having a 1/4 disprin every morning?
4. Can children get migraines (small children). We have migraines in our family and now seem to think that my nephews suffer from it as well. They are 5 and 6 respectively and by what they say when they have the " attack" , it seems it might be migraine (they don' t necessarily have the aura), but have the nausea, vomiting, splitting headache for hours to days on end and also now have fever and diarrhoea.

Thank you very much

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear Dottie,

Firstly, there is no significantly higher risk of strokes in migraine sufferers.

Disprin taken regularly will not prevent migraines.

Children can definitely get migraines, and are more likely to do so if the parents are sufferers. Only about 30% of migraineurs have aura, so most do not.

There is only one way to prevent migraines – the cause has to be properly diagnosed by experts. To get to the root of the problem, you need what is called a “multidisciplinary assessment”, which should include a neurological examination to rule out any serious underlying condition. There are so many different structures in the head and neck, all of which can be involved in the headache process, that no single specialist can have all the knowledge necessary to make a comprehensive assessment and diagnosis. For instance, a neurologist will examine the brain and nervous system, a physiotherapist will look at the muscles, a dentist will examine the teeth etc. For this reason, the “multidisciplinary assessment” combines and integrates the expertise of different specialists who would normally treat headache patients in isolation, into a single more comprehensive body of knowledge. This enables the different members of the team to provide a co-ordinated treatment plan, so that all the contributing factors are addressed.

This assessment must include a thorough examination of the head and neck muscles to determine the presence of abnormal tension, and of the external carotid vasculature to determine whether there is an arterial element to the pain.

Headache sufferers often have a poor Quality of Life due to the constant pain and associated symptoms. For a free assessment of how your headaches are affecting your Quality of Life, click on http://www.headacheclinic.co.za/

This information has been supplied and checked by the multidisciplinary team of specialists at The Headache Clinic, in association with The International Headache Society and the South African Institute of Headache and Migraine Science. For consultation with these specialists, call The Headache Clinic (Cape Town, Durban, Johannesburg) on 0861 678 911.

1
Posted by: headache expert | 2009/10/22

Dear Dottie,

Reply to headache expert