Posted by: Eloise | 2012-11-01

Hi Dr Shevel

I had the privilege of meeting with you earlier this year. My dilemma at that stage was my pregnancy and constant migraines during the 1st trimester. This is my 2nd pregnancy. I''ve been to the clinic prior as i am a migraine sufferer. We determined with all the tests that we should explore the procedure to my arteries but only once my pregnancy was over.
i have -/+ 6 weeks left and already dredding the migraines coming back.

My question today is:

For the 2nd + 3rd trimester i have not experienced any migraines which indicates to me that perhaps hormones also play a role. But i remember you explaining triggers etc.
Would it be worth it to perhpas try a hormone/contraceptive before doing the procedure? as obviously with the change in hormones the migraines have been non excistend for 6 months.

My gynae recommended 1 or 2 contraceptives, but only one can be used (microval) whilst breastfeeding.

I really want to act fast after the little one is born.

Many thanks

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear Eloise,

The oestrogen levels are very high during the last two trimesters, and this often extends if the baby is being breast-fed. The migraines typically return when the baby comes off the breast - but it doesn't always follow this pattern. We prefer not to alter the hormones, but as you know we tackle the painful structure, which gives permanent prevention. Perhaps it would be a good idea for you to call me after 4pm any day on 0825555763, so that we can discuss your options further.