Question
Posted by: Lize | 2011-01-24

Migraines

Hi I have a been having migraines for over a year now, my longest attack was 6 months, I went to the hospital 3 times for 3 days, they did tests and nothing could be found. My wisdom teeth was removed and the migraines went away untill this holiday it started again but it was not that bad, back to work and now it is all the way again, I have been wondering can computers(I work on the computer the whole day) give my migraines and what can I do to prevent this, stop working or is there other treatment, because I can''t go on like this!

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear Lize,

Wisdom teeth can certainly contribute to the problem, that is why you had temporary relief, but the real reason for your migraines has not yet been addressed. Poor posture at the computer can also contribute, but is also not the main problem. Fortunately you don’t have to go on like this, as most people with migraines can be helped. First though, you have to be diagnosed by someone who specializes in the problem, because it is a very complex condition.

To get to the root of the problem, you need what is called a “multidisciplinary assessment”, which should include a neurological examination to rule out any serious underlying condition. There are so many different structures in the head and neck, all of which can be involved in the headache process, that no single specialist can have all the knowledge necessary to make a comprehensive assessment and diagnosis. For instance, a neurologist will examine the brain and nervous system, a physiotherapist will look at the muscles, a dentist will examine the teeth etc. For this reason, the “multidisciplinary assessment” combines and integrates the expertise of different specialists who would normally treat headache patients in isolation, into a single more comprehensive body of knowledge. This enables the different members of the team to provide a co-ordinated treatment plan, so that all the contributing factors are addressed.

This assessment must include a thorough examination of the head and neck muscles to determine the presence of abnormal tension, and of the external carotid vasculature to determine whether there is an arterial element to the pain.

Headache sufferers often have a poor Quality of Life due to the constant pain and associated symptoms. For a free assessment of how your headaches are affecting your Quality of Life, click on http://www.headacheclinic.co.za/

This information has been supplied and checked by the multidisciplinary team of specialists at The Headache Clinic, in association with The International Headache Society and the South African Institute of Headache and Migraine Science. For consultation with these specialists, call The Headache Clinic (Cape Town, Durban, Johannesburg) on 0861 678 911.

3
Posted by: Laurentia | 2011-02-09

Good day I need help I cannot take the pain annymore it feels like my head is going to explode I wake up with this migrains and go to sleep with it wake up from it never get a good knigts rest and I am fedup with it if You can help me please do thank you
Kind Regards Laurentia.

Reply to Laurentia
Posted by: Mndeni | 2011-01-25

Hi I''ve beeb recently told by my doctor that I have migraine after I was admitted and mri scan done on me , I also want to know because every time my headache start I feel nause like something is pushing up from my stomach it very discomforting feeling and the taste of my salivor in my mouth changes , feel dezy cant sleep please help ,

Reply to Mndeni
Posted by: Headache expert | 2011-01-25

Dear Lize,

Reply to Headache expert