Question
Posted by: Suzanne | 2009-09-11

Migraines

Morning Doc
Hope all is well on your side. The day before my periods started and during my period I got for the first time terrible headach which also made my neck stiff. It is horrible and I can hardly blink my eyes. What could be the cause of this? I am under stress at the moment for its my wedding in two months. No headach pill seems to help except something strong with codeine.

Suzanne

Your headaches can be due to neck muscle spasm or due to the fact that you are retaining water during menstruation. You can also have underlying migraine headaches that need spesific treatment. I therefore, suggest that you consult your doctor for a full examination, in order to make a proper diagnosis. He/she will then prescribe the correct medication.

1
Posted by: samantha | 2009-09-11

First I want to congradulate you one your up coming wedding. I am a fellow migrane sufferer. I have had migraines for 19 years now. For me I find stress to be a major trigger, and what bigger stress is there than preparing for the bigest day of your life.
I wish I could tell you I have some miricle pill I use but the fact is since I was 14 I have tried everything!!!! Now if you are looking for something non narcotic there is a new drug administered in the hospital through I.V. It is called DHE.
It makes me fill like there is an elephant sitting on my chest for about 5 min or so but I go to sleep and wake up about 20 min later without the headache.
Please talk to your doctor and perhaps you can come up with a preventitive method to keep your migraines at bay. My son gets them as well. He will be 11 in Dec. he has been using 1 Advil and a Pepsi (with caffine, any soda with caffine).
Something you might consider is what you have been eating or drinking alot of lately. Planning a wedding there are a lot of taste testing to be done. Make a diary of what you eat and drink on the day you have a migraine. You may find a common denominator.
Also flouresent lighting can cause migraines. I also find certain smells will triger me. A perfume or the smell of cituris. Look for things that may have been around you at the time, again a common denominator.
ALSO Try soaking in a bath of Lavender, or having someone rub lavender lotion on you. Sounds silly but oit can help. Plus it is relaxing.
Hoping you are filling better
Samantha White

Reply to samantha