Posted by: sherry | 2008-10-29

I have been getting terrible migraines on the left side of my head which causes my left eye to swell and gives me an ear ache in my left ear and also causing the left side of my face to swell. I have never had such an experience before, please advise on what steps I should take this has happened to me 3 times in one month now and I have seen a doctor and was given headache tablets

Expert ImageArchive

Hello Sherry,

Food allergy or sensitivity plays a role in many cases of migraine headache. Many double-blind, placebo controlled studies have demonstrated that the detection and removal of allergenic or untolerated foods will eliminate or greatly reduce migraine symptoms in the majority of patients. Food allergy/intolerance induces a migraine attack largely as a result of platelets releasing serotonin and histamines. In addition, foods such as chocolate, cheese, beer, and wine contain histamines and/or other compounds that can trigger migraines in sensitive individuals by causing blood vessels to expand. Red wine is much more likely than white wine to cause a headache because it contains twenty to two hundred times as much histamine.
Try Feverfew, and gnger.
Also contact your local osteopath to correct mechanical factors. For more information on osteopathy visit

Dr Guy Ashburner