Question

Migraine in Pregnancy

Please, please help! I am 18 weeks pregnant and I' ve been walking around with a migraine for 3 days now. I really can' t stand it anymore! I feel like I' m going to throw up and I feel a little disorientated
Panados don' t help AT ALL and my doctor doesn' t seem to care about me, only about the baby. I can understand this, to some extent but at the same time, I cannot go on like this
Is there anything else I could use?

Dear Anon
In early pregnancy one needs to avoid medicine as far as possible. Some medications commonly used in migraine contain ergotamine which stimulate the muscles of the uterus, and lead to abortion. Often, the “migraine kits” obtainable from pharmacies without a prescription, contain ergotamine. Even codeine, an ingredient of many painkillers, has been associated with congenital malformations. Aspirin can cause bleeding and increase the risk of a miscarriage. Please try and see a physiotherapist - migraines are often triggered by muscle spasms in the neck and head area, or upper back and they can treat this to break the cycle of pain. If all else fails a once off Voltaren injection can be given but it is not recommended in pregnancy.