Question
Posted by: sonja | 2008/08/14

migraine before periods

I suffer from severe migraine and it always starts a day before or on the day I start my menstrual cycle. I am not on the pill. I get migraine with aura and it usually reoccurs three to four times before the end of my periods. During this time I can not walk or see properly and cant go to work either. I am being treated by my doctor for it but I would like to know, would a gynaecologist be able to tell me why this happens and how to prevent it?????I am desperate

Some women are more susceptible before a period. You definitely should no use the Pill. It may be that something like the Mirena or Depo provera may help. Otherwise, anti-migraine medication would be the way to go.

1
Posted by: Dee GTC | 2008/08/14

Migraines and the Menstrual Cycle

Migraine headaches are more common in women. 60-70% of women with migraines notice a relationship with their menstrual cycle. There is usually an increased frequency around menstruation. A true menstrual migraine occurs every month, only between the 2nd day before menstruation and the end of menstruation. Menstrual migraine is estimated to occur in about 14% of women. This subcategory of migraine appears to be triggered by falling estrogen (estradiol) levels at the end of the menstrual cycle. Low doses of estrogen starting 1-2 days before menstruation, taken throughout the period, may help. This kind of migraine may be a problem when taking birth control pills.

Reply to Dee GTC