Question
Posted by: Colagirl | 2008/10/29

Migraine and no feeling

hi
yesterday i had normal headache. this morning i woke up seeing spots, cannot read anything. On the way to work my left hand goes numb (feel like your mouth feels when dentist give you an injection) for about 5 minutes - then life comes back with pin and needles. then my mouth and tongue go numb - same like and. and the i have a huge huge headache. What on earth is happening? I am 5 weeks pregnant.
I remember last time i had megraine was one day when i was pregnant in 2006. i used to get alot of migraines as teenager on the pill. stoped the pill and for 8 years migraine has been very little.
thanks
o yes, i struggle to talk correctly - cannot get to words - pronounce words almost dislectic.

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear Colagirl,

The symptoms you have described occur in some people who get migraine, usually before the onset of the pain. As long as they pass in a little while, there is nothing to worry about.

Migraine sufferers who have the kind of aura you describe often get worse during pregnancy. If your migraines are affecting your quality of life, then you should have something done about them. Particularly as during the pregnancy the only pain medication you can take is paracetamol (Panado), and it is usually nowhere near strong enough. You need non-drug therapy.

To get to the root of the problem, you need what is called a “multidisciplinary assessment”. There are so many different structures in the head and neck, all of which can be involved in the headache process, that no single specialist can have all the knowledge necessary to make a comprehensive assessment and diagnosis. For instance, a neurologist will examine the brain and nervous system, a physiotherapist will look at the muscles, a dentist will examine the teeth etc. For this reason, the “multidisciplinary assessment” combines and integrates the expertise of different specialists who would normally treat headache patients in isolation, into a single more comprehensive body of knowledge. This assessment must include a thorough examination of the head and neck muscles to determine the presence of abnormal tension. This enables the different members of the team to provide a co-ordinated treatment plan, so that all the contributing factors are addressed.

Headache sufferers often have a poor Quality of Life due to the constant pain and associated symptoms. For a free assessment of how your headaches are affecting your Quality of Life, click on http://www.headacheclinic.co.za/

This information has been supplied and checked by the multidisciplinary team of specialists at The Headache Clinic, in association with The International Headache Society and the South African Institute of Headache and Migraine Science. For consultation with these specialists, call The Headache Clinic (Cape Town, Durban, Johannesburg) on 0861 678 911.