Question
Posted by: KJ | 2012/03/12

Migraine

Hi there,

I suffer from migraines every now and then, and previously I found that Synap Forte worked very well to stop the migraine, even during the aura phase.

As Synap Forte has now been taken off the market, what can be used as an alternative/generic which works just as well?

Expert ImagePharmacist

Hi KJ

Unfortunately there is no generic for Synap Forte as all products containing Dextropropoxyphene was removed from the SA market.

Luckily there are many products that's worth a try - Tensolve for example has a very similar composition to Synap (except for the dextropropoxyphe) and is available OTC. Other options include Tenston which your doctor can prescribe as alternative.

Cataflam Disp Sachets is also worth a try.

All the best!

3
Posted by: Anonymous | 2016/04/05

Synap Forte was my go-to for migraines. Currently using Tenston SA, and it works perfectly.

Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/06/22

I am a 62 year old female. In 2009 When I was 56 years old, I went for a calcaneous operation in. Whilst in hospital, I was given Synap Fortes post operatively, and went into cardiac arrest. After being ressusitated, I woke up in intensive care. They, the medical profession, explained to me that I was allergic to invanz antibiotics, but after reading your articals, I realised that it could have been the Synap Fortes fault. When I wanted to investigate the whole thing further, I found that the whole report has been removed from my hospital file. That happened in a private hospital in Pretoria. I was in excellent physical health at that time. So I am glad that they have banned the pills in South Africa.

Posted by: pharmacist | 2012/03/13

Hi KJ

All the best!

Reply to pharmacist