Question
Posted by: Bafana Lukhele | 2011/12/09

MIgraine

Good Day

I am part time teacher and have had a number of encounters with one of my pupils who complains about headaches. The intensity of which renders him function less, followed by sharp pains in the eyes apparently caused by light. Vomiting thereafter follows. I have asked the parents if they have taken any action about the issue and they explain that they have sent the boy to a number of public hospital for scans to no avail.

I was about to suggest that they go to the headache clinic, but thought I should get some expect advice before the appointment.

Would kindly appreciate any from of help from you

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear Bafana,

To get to the root of the problem, he needs what is called a “multidisciplinary assessment”, which should include a neurological examination to rule out any serious underlying condition. There are so many different structures in the head and neck, all of which can be involved in the headache process, that no single specialist can have all the knowledge necessary to make a comprehensive assessment and diagnosis. For instance, a neurologist will examine the brain and nervous system, a physiotherapist will look at the muscles, a dentist will examine the teeth etc. For this reason, the “multidisciplinary assessment” combines and integrates the expertise of different specialists who would normally treat headache patients in isolation, into a single more comprehensive body of knowledge. This enables the different members of the team to provide a co-ordinated treatment plan, so that all the contributing factors are addressed.

This assessment must include a thorough examination of the head and neck muscles to determine the presence of abnormal tension, and of the external carotid vasculature to determine whether there is an arterial element to the pain.

The Headache Clinic is the only facility where a multidisciplinary assessment is available.Their number is 0861 678 911.

1
Posted by: Headache expert | 2011/12/11

Dear Bafana,

Reply to Headache expert