Question
Posted by: Amina | 2009/09/07

Migraine!!!

I have been suffering from migraines from about the age of seven (that I can remember). My symptoms before the migraine are nausia  blured vision in the eye of the effected side  light &  noise sensitivity  somtimes I get the taste and smell of blood (there is no actual sign of bleeding). My migraine are also related to my menstrual cycle, but not eclusivley so. If I do not take an anti-nausia tablet and pain killers at the very first symptoms, I tend to thow-up the medication(not deliberately). The intensity of the headaches have increased to such a degree, that I am bearly able to fuction properly. Just over a week ago, I cut my own hair short in a desperate attempt to alleviate the pain a little. It did not really help. Over the years, I have been given so much medication, including the wafer, but none of them seem to work effectively. I find that as the pain increases, I sometimes find that my tongue feels quite numb and I cannot pronounce certain letters properly such as ' r' and ' s' . I desperately need help. I have also done ' tests' to see what the triggers could be, but am still at a loss.

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear Amina,

All the symptoms that you have described occur with severe migraine attacks – fortunately though, now we are able to do something about it. The first step is to get a proper diagnosis. To get to the root of the problem, you need what is called a “multidisciplinary assessment”, which should include a neurological examination to rule out any serious underlying condition. There are so many different structures in the head and neck, all of which can be involved in the headache process, that no single specialist can have all the knowledge necessary to make a comprehensive assessment and diagnosis. For instance, a neurologist will examine the brain and nervous system, a physiotherapist will look at the muscles, a dentist will examine the teeth etc. For this reason, the “multidisciplinary assessment” combines and integrates the expertise of different specialists who would normally treat headache patients in isolation, into a single more comprehensive body of knowledge. This enables the different members of the team to provide a co-ordinated treatment plan, so that all the contributing factors are addressed.

This assessment must include a thorough examination of the head and neck muscles to determine the presence of abnormal tension, and of the external carotid vasculature to determine whether there is an arterial element to the pain.

Headache sufferers often have a poor Quality of Life due to the constant pain and associated symptoms. For a free assessment of how your headaches are affecting your Quality of Life, click on http://www.headacheclinic.co.za/

This information has been supplied and checked by the multidisciplinary team of specialists at The Headache Clinic, in association with The International Headache Society and the South African Institute of Headache and Migraine Science. For consultation with these specialists, call The Headache Clinic (Cape Town, Durban, Johannesburg) on 0861 678 911.

1
Posted by: Amina | 2009/09/07

Please advise me if dizzy spells and slight black-outs can be part of the migraine.

Reply to Amina