Question
Posted by: Belinda | 2009-05-10

Migraine

Dear Doc

A few weeks ago I experienced a loss of vision scotoma without a headache and a sore arm after the episode. You advised me to see my GP to rule our TIA. Before I could get there I got a very severe headache (on Thursday) and Even Synap Forte did not relieve the pain. Then during the night my face and neck (all on the side of the heacache) went numb. The next morning I was admitted to hosp for a MRI and angiogram to rule out a stroke. I have no risk factors and am young. The numbness had now also spread to my leg and foot. They gave me pain meds that dulled the headache, but it was not gone. The neurosurgeon explained that the scan was clear and that I had a very severe migraine that mimiced a stroke and he perscribed some anti epeleptic to prevent the migraines and maxalt in case I get another one. The numbness is gone, but my head is still sore (4/10)and my legs ache. Is this normal? I am taking one of the anti convulsants a day. Can I take a maxalt to finally get rid of this pain or do I wait till it gets really bad again.

Belinda

Belinda

Maxalt is used the minute that you suspect the onset of a migraine. Did the neurologist perform an EEG to exlclude a form of epileptic attack that is causing these symptoms. I do however, agree that it is most likely a migraine headached that is causing your headaches.