Posted by: Thobi | 2008-11-11

Good day

I need you advise. I' ve been having constant (whole day) headaches for 8 days now and pain killers don' t seem to work. I visited a Doctor yesterday who told me, it might be migraine and gave me Salterpyn and Prednisone. Problem is they work for a few minutes, my jaws feel tired (just below my ears) which makes it difficult for me to chew. My headache is not one sided, it' s everywhere (just moves around, side, front, back) and my neck feels very tired. My vision is ok, I go to the gym 5 days a week and I eat healthy

Can this be some sort of a brain tuma?

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear Thobi,

Sorry I didn’t get back to you sooner – it seems that I missed a day.

Medication is not the answer – you have to find out what is causing the pain.

To get to the root of the problem, you need what is called a “multidisciplinary assessment”. There are so many different structures in the head and neck, all of which can be involved in the headache process, that no single specialist can have all the knowledge necessary to make a comprehensive assessment and diagnosis. For instance, a neurologist will examine the brain and nervous system, a physiotherapist will look at the muscles, a dentist will examine the teeth etc. For this reason, the “multidisciplinary assessment” combines and integrates the expertise of different specialists who would normally treat headache patients in isolation, into a single more comprehensive body of knowledge. This assessment must include a thorough examination of the head and neck muscles to determine the presence of abnormal tension. This enables the different members of the team to provide a co-ordinated treatment plan, so that all the contributing factors are addressed.

Headache sufferers often have a poor Quality of Life due to the constant pain and associated symptoms. For a free assessment of how your headaches are affecting your Quality of Life, click on

This information has been supplied and checked by the multidisciplinary team of specialists at The Headache Clinic, in association with The International Headache Society and the South African Institute of Headache and Migraine Science. For consultation with these specialists, call The Headache Clinic (Cape Town, Durban, Johannesburg) on 0861 678 911.