Question
Posted by: Anand | 2010/03/04

Migrain

Hi Doc, as of recent i get migrains but at first my vision get distorted and then there is a numbness that starts in my fingers and then my tongue get numb where by my speech is slurred. All this before the actual headache totally disorientates me. The headache is very strong and i normally have to sleep it out. Over the last weekend I have been to my GP and explained the above to him. He advised that I have migrains with an aura and that there are no cure or corses of this. Please advise if the above makes sense or should I go to a specialist?

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear Anand,

Your GP is wrong. Migraine can be successfully treated, but one first has to find out what is causing the migraine. To get to the root of the problem, you need what is called a “multidisciplinary assessment”, which should include a neurological examination to rule out any serious underlying condition. There are so many different structures in the head and neck, all of which can be involved in the headache process, that no single specialist can have all the knowledge necessary to make a comprehensive assessment and diagnosis. For instance, a neurologist will examine the brain and nervous system, a physiotherapist will look at the muscles, a dentist will examine the teeth etc. For this reason, the “multidisciplinary assessment” combines and integrates the expertise of different specialists who would normally treat headache patients in isolation, into a single more comprehensive body of knowledge. This enables the different members of the team to provide a co-ordinated treatment plan, so that all the contributing factors are addressed.

This assessment must include a thorough examination of the head and neck muscles to determine the presence of abnormal tension, and of the external carotid vasculature to determine whether there is an arterial element to the pain.

Headache sufferers often have a poor Quality of Life due to the constant pain and associated symptoms. For a free assessment of how your headaches are affecting your Quality of Life, click on http://www.headacheclinic.co.za/

This information has been supplied and checked by the multidisciplinary team of specialists at The Headache Clinic, in association with The International Headache Society and the South African Institute of Headache and Migraine Science. For consultation with these specialists, call The Headache Clinic (Cape Town, Durban, Johannesburg) on 0861 678 911.

2
Posted by: Amy Ramsaur | 2010/03/18

How common is a deficency in magniusm as a cause of migrain?

Reply to Amy Ramsaur
Posted by: Headache expert | 2010/03/10

Dear Anand,

Reply to Headache expert