Question
Posted by: Unhappy | 2011-04-07

Midnight Snacking

I always try and have a healthy snack before going to bed, but
still wake up round about 02:00 am and then go straight to the
fridge without even thinking and eat any leftovers or anything
that looks good (most of the time things I would not eat during the day)

I tried having a glass of milk or water instead, but then I can''''t get to sleep and still end up going to the fridge.

I think this is one of the reasons I don''''t lose weight. What would you suggest I do?

Expert ImageEating Disorders Expert

Hello "Unhappy",
First, you are not alone and might be struggling with what has been commonly labelled "Night-Eating Syndrome". Such individuals don't necessarily binge during the day and only do so in the early hours of the morning after waking up and making their way to the kitchen like you do to eat unnecessarily high calorie food in an uncontrolled manner. It might be what accounts for you not being able to lose weight (if you should be losing weight). It is good that you are having an evening snack, but are you eating a good, sensible and moderate meal plan all through the day? It needs to be determined that you are not short for calories by the time you go to sleep. Second, make sure you evening snack is not too much by way of refined carbohydrate, as it just might be that your blood sugar is doing an upswing - downswing, leaving you hungry at 02h00. At a practical level, are you making your sleep environment conducive to sleeping well and not always waking up? Perhaps a short course of sleeping medication might be helpful. Natural remedies might even do the trick. Have you tried locking the kitchen at night and preventing yourself from gaining access to food after lights out? This is a practical way of breaking the habit. If you have someone else in the home, lock the kitchen/fridge/cupboards (if you can) and give someone the keys. With modern technology, I suggest that you search engine "Night Eating Syndrome", as some sites have some very helpful advice. Hope that helps you as a starting point?
Regards,
Graham

1
Posted by: Eating Disorders and Obesity Expert | 2011-04-12

Hello "Unhappy",
Regards,
Graham

Reply to Eating Disorders and Obesity Expert