Question
Posted by: Unhappy | 2011/04/07

Midnight Snacking

I always try and have a healthy snack before going to bed, but
still wake up round about 02:00 am and then go straight to the
fridge without even thinking and eat any leftovers or anything
that looks good (most of the time things I would not eat during the day)

I tried having a glass of milk or water instead, but then I can''''t get to sleep and still end up going to the fridge.

I think this is one of the reasons I don''''t lose weight. What would you suggest I do?

Dear Unhappy
Nocturnal binging can be a type of eating disorder that would require treatment at a clinic geared to treating eating disorders. If you are in Gauteng then it may help to contact Tara Hospital as they have an Eating Disorder clinic (phone (011) 783-2010. In Cape Town and environs you can contact the Kenilworth Clinic (021) 797-1400 and in KwaZulu Natal there is Riverview Manor (033) 701-1911, or contact them on: www.riverviewmanor.co.za . It is also possible that you are not eating sufficient food during the day to satisfy your body's needs for energy. If the latter is the case, then please try to eat some carbohydrate with a low glycaemic index (GI) at all 3 main meals and for your snack at night (e.g. low-GI bread, Pro-Vitas, cooked legumes like lentils, low-GI muesli, etc) together with a low-fat protein (fat-free cottage cheese, yoghurt, milk) to provide you with enough low-GI foods to keep your blood sugar and insulin levels steady throughout the night. Click on 'Diet’nFood' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. If you try a low-fat, low-GI diet for about 3 weeks and you are still raiding the fridge at 02:00 then it may be a good idea to discuss the problem with the eating disorder specialists at the above mentioned organisations.
I do hope you will be able to stop your night-time eating.

1

Dear Unhappy