Question
Posted by: Marianne | 2009/10/19

Midfoot fracture

About 3 and a half months ago I broke my midfoot, Lisfranc francture according to the orthopedic surgeon. I happened with a bad landing I had with skydiving. It was only picked up 6 weeks later with a ct scan, normal x-rays only showed 2 bones broken, while it was actually 7. I am very frustrated because it is still very far from healed and I feel the dr doesn' t want to give me and honest answer.

Is this really such a difficult fracture to heal? I' m also on pain treatment, because apparently my body reacts very bad to injuries. I have to wear the " moon boot"  for another 6 weeks, and that means I would have spent 4 and a half months in it!

Kind regards

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Marianne

This a difficult injury, even with a moon boot you are still partially weightbearing on the foot. I find that it can take as long as a year to recover from certain foot fractures or surgery. I would seek a second opinion from an orthopaedic surgeon with a special interest in foot surgery. I would also find a physio to help with rehab.

Chris

2
Posted by: Margie | 2009/11/05

About Two months ago I fractured my ankle and broke a bone just above the joint in the little toe (in the foot area). I have worn a " moon boot"  for six weeks and still suffer pain. I went back to the Orthopaedic Surgeon whom I consulted initially and was told, after further X-rays that the foot has healed and that I should remove the boot. I have done so but, within ten minutes of getting out of bed in the mornings, my ankle is so swollen (and painful) that it feels as if the blood flow has been restricted and that the skin is about to burst.

I am afraid to go back to the same Doctor as he seemed so uninterested. He did not even look at the foot but just at the X-rays. He did not even ask how it feels but told me that " It is better. Take off the boot and walk without it."  As if he has the power to make it get better just because he says it is.

I am not a child anymore and fail to see why he treats me like one - especially with the exorbitant fees he charges and does nothing about fixing the problem.

Please advise.

Reply to Margie
Posted by: Foot expert | 2009/10/25

Dear Marianne

Chris

Reply to Foot expert