Question
Posted by: Mama Jay | 2011/05/25

Middle Ear Infection

I have a stuffy ear and my doctor says i have fluid in the middle ear. He has given me prednisone.
Is this OK for me as i am HIV positve and currently on a Efavirenz and Lamzid.

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Mama Jay

Your treating doctor should decide on the appropriate treatment. Usually, if you are on ART's, it is possible to treat with cortisone for a short period of time, provided that you are well monitored. From an ear point of view, the treatment is advisable, as long as your treating phycisian is informed and happy with the decision. Each patient should be managed on merit.