Posted by: fan | 2009-07-06

Michael Jackson

Hi Doc. I know this is pathetic, but this whole Michael Jackson thing has really got to me. I cry when I read about him, when I see him on tv, when I listen to his music. I dont know if all this will pass when the media backs off and it is not constantly thrown at us all the time. I am depressed!! What can I do?

You have become caught up in a strange set of expectations, somehow you have bought the media's idea that people should be deeply bereaved by the death, probably related to drug abuse, in a distant land, of someone you never met ( you only heard him and saw him on heavily edited music videos ). What, actually, have you lost ? He hasn't made any real music for years, and was highly unlikely to do so anyway. It's sad to think of someone with real talent who allowed himself to get lost within his weirdness and became too rich for his own good, so he could afford to get people to give him drugs that were dangerous and bad for him. But no useful purpose is served by weeping for him --- frankly, he would never have wept for you. Learn from how his life self-destructed how we should all avoid following his example. It looked as though he made his life miserable for years now, so at least he can no longer suffer. Be content about that.

There will be more good music from other talented people, there has been, for hundreds of years. There will be other good singers, too. Some people felt like this when Elvis died, when John Lennon was killed. But they soon moved on and learned to enjoy the music which you can have as long as you live and to find other good music , as well.

If you really find it too hard to face this realistically, consider seeing a counsellor for a couple of sessions, to get things into perspective. You don' have to allow this to get to you in this way. Maybe put his music aside for a few months, till you fel stronger, and avoid reading about him for the same time. COme back to it when you can enjoy it without sadness.

Posted by: lot | 2009-07-07

Ek dink die hele Michael Jackson storie word heeltemal uit verband uitgeruk. Hy het duidelik diep sielkundige probleme gehad, dis die wat hy sy voorkoms so verander het, wou nie aanvaar wie God hom gemaak het nie, wou jonk bly en kon nie aanvaar dat hy oud word nie. Sou jy werklik sê  dis ' n 50-jarige man wat voor jou staan met sy laaste optrede? Wat van al die aanklagte wat teen hom was oor die kinders, of hy skuldig was of nie? Wat van die feit dat hy medikasie misbruik het? Is ons wê reld so ongebalanseerd dat ons dit voorhou as ' n rolmodel? Die feit dat die mense so voel is omdat die media so groot ophef daarvan maak. Die vraag wat jy jouself moet afvra het hy ooit enige positiewe bydrae gemaak tot jou en jou gesin gemaak, kanaliseer eerder jou energie tot daai persone wat help om jou gesin op te bou en vergeet van ' n nagemaakte " idol"  wat sy energie gebruik het om homself te verryk en te verander in iets wat hy nie was nie, want dit was sy ondergang. Vir die media gaan dit buitendien net oor sensasie en hoeveel kykers hulle trek, so hoe meer hulle die storie " sad"  kan maak en ophef hoe beter vir hulle. Wees bly vir daai ware glimlagte en geliefdes wat jy elke dag om jou het en vergeet van ' n nagemaakte " idol" .

Reply to lot
Posted by: Iyo! | 2009-07-06

I think you should visit Teen forum...

Reply to Iyo!