Question
Posted by: brent | 2008/07/18

mexoryl

I recently wanted to buy a lancome product that contains titanium dioxide, mexoryl and octocrylene but as wikipedia states that octocrylene causes ROS when illuminated but wikipedia also states that the above ingredients working together offers the best
uv protection so does the other ingredients compensate for octocrylene as I do prefer to use th mexoryl for a change just to try it but dont want the feel the effects of Octocrylene please advise

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Brent, thank you for the question.

Octocrylene is an organic compound used as an ingredient in sunscreens and cosmetics. It is an ester formed by the condensation of a diphenylcyanoacrylate with 2-ethylhexanol. It is a viscous, oily liquid that is clear and colorless.
The extended conjugation of the acrylate portion of the molecule absorbs ultraviolet light, protecting the skin from direct DNA damage. The ethylhexanol portion is a fatty alcohol, adding emollient and oil-like (water resistant) properties.
This organic compound can penetrate into the skin where it acts as a photo sensitizer. This results in an increased production of free radicals under illumination. Free radicals are known to induce indirect DNA damage and an increased concentration of free radicals might have contributed to the increased incidence of malignant melanoma in sunscreen-users compared to non-users.
Following from the above my advice is not to use any product that contains octocrylene. Your best combination is the zinc oxide, titanium dioxide and mexoryl.