Posted by: Vana | 2009-03-04

I have been prescribed this by my gynae coz of bleeding. I am in my 7th week. where ever i read they say its not safe to take this drug except if its gonna benefit the mother, but its definitely not safe for the baby? Please advise its benefits?

Dear Vana

Most package leaflets of medication will suggest that the safety of these drugs has not been confirmed in pregnancy and therefore should be avoided. However under certain circumstances drugs such as Meticorten is used in pregnancy. The normal indication for the use Meticorten is in patients with recurrent early pregnancy loses or in patients with recurrent third IVF cycles.

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo