Question
Posted by: Beth | 2010/10/22

Methotrexate and weight gain

I''m 26 years old and have been on methotrexate for rheumatoid arthritis for the past 4 1/2 months. i''ve since gone up almost two sizes! i only have meal replacement shakes for breakfast and lunch, a small supper and snack on apples and tomatoes in between, i also try get half an hours exercise a day. my ankles and feet are always swolen as well. i also have an under active thyroid and am on treatment for this. nothing seems to be stopping me putting on weight though and it''s really getting me down. what else could i do or change to help with weight loss or stop this weight gain?

Dear Beth
Because rheumatoid arthritis is a serious condition that requires different dietary management depending on which phase you are in, I would recommend that you consult a clinical dietitian so that she/he can work out an individual diet prescription for you which takes all your present factors into account: the phase of the RA, your medications and their side-effects, your hypothyroidism, weight gain or possibly water retention. For your own sake it is important to have a dietitian overseeing your diet if you have RA.

1

Dear Beth