Question
Posted by: Maria | 2010/06/24

methotrexate

I am 54 years old and have been diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis. my doctor has prescibred 4 tablets a week of methotexate but i heard this is a cancer drug and is really strong and has bad side affects. Is this true? Is there an alternative drug I can take to treat this?

Maria

Hallo Maria
Metothrexate is a drug that we do sometimes use for blood cancers but it is a mainstay of rheumatoid arthritis treatment. Sometimes we need to use medications which have side effects, if the effect of the medication on the disease is more valuable than the risk of the side effects. RA is not just a joint disease, it is a disease affecting the whole body and the sooner one starts to use what they call "disease modifying medication" in stead of just symptom relieving medication, the better.See also http://www.arthritis.org/disease-center.php?disease_id=31

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010/06/24

Hallo Maria