Question
Posted by: Reggy | 2010/09/03

METFORMINE/GLUCOPHAGE

I am 37 weeks pregnant, I am taking Metformine/Glucophane 850 mg 3 times a day. My question is can I breast feed my baby while taking this medication, The doc diagnosed me with PCOS, which was messing up my menstruation cycles, hence I had to take them.

Expert ImagePharmacist

Hi R

Limited amounts of metformin are transferred into breast milk, but the risk of neonatal hypoglycaemia is negligibl and it is unlikely that there will be any significant effect on your baby. In particular, there is no risk of neonatal hypoglycaemia, in contrast to the use of drugs stimulating insulin release, such as the sulfonylureas.

If concerend, speak to your prescriber first.

1
Posted by: pharmacist | 2010/09/06

Hi R

Reply to pharmacist