Question
Posted by: Confused | 2009/10/27

Metformin / Glucophage = extreme nausea

Good day Doc,

I am hoping you can assist. I was diagnosed as being insulin resistance in Sept. I was prescribed Glucophage 500mg x 3. My gynae who prescribed this is never available when I phone and I am always having to deal with his receptionist. Thing is I was told I would be nauseous on this meds but it is so bad that eventually when I get home from work I lay on my bed hoping to stop breathing so the nausea will subside. I have found out if I skip my evening pill I am 100% during the day and my nauseau is down the like 1/10. Can I just skip my evening pill ? Or what can I do to prevent being nauseous the whole day if I do take my evening meds. I do take it with meals and try and follow a Low GI diet.

Many thanks.

You can start with a lower dose and build it up gradually. This often helps.

3

Posted by: michelle | 2009/10/27

i have been taking metformin for 6 years now and i have founf that instead of taking it before or after a meal i take it during a meal, and the symtoms are not so bad.

Reply to michelle