Question
Posted by: Confused | 2009/10/27

Metformin / Glucophage = extreme nausea

Good day Doc,

I am hoping you can assist. I was diagnosed as being insulin resistance in Sept. I was prescribed Glucophage 500mg x 3. My gynae who prescribed this is never available when I phone and I am always having to deal with his receptionist. Thing is I was told I would be nauseous on this meds but it is so bad that eventually when I get home from work I lay on my bed hoping to stop breathing so the nausea will subside. I have found out if I skip my evening pill I am 100% during the day and my nauseau is down the like 1/10. Can I just skip my evening pill ? Or what can I do to prevent being nauseous the whole day if I do take my evening meds. I do take it with meals and try and follow a Low GI diet.

Many thanks.

Hi Confused
You can skip the evening pill or take a lower dose. If you eat right and exercise you will also improve your insulin resistance, even if you take a lower dose.

2
Posted by: Lissa | 2009/10/27

My gynae prescibed Glucophage 500mg once a day, i didnt have any problems or side effects. i did however stop taking it for a while. my GP prescribed 500mg x2 per day. I still only take the one as it gives me just as good results. when i started taking again it also made me feel nauseous. I find i can only take it in the morning and it really best to eat a bit of food then take it then it some more food. it is the only way that works for me and then I' m fine for the rest of the day!
know it doesnt answer all your questions but thought i' d just give my experience. :-)

Reply to Lissa
Posted by: cyberdoc | 2009/10/27

Hi Confused

Reply to cyberdoc