Posted by: BC | 2009-09-01

Metformin (Glucophage)

I have been on Metformin for the last 4years. I cycle and have been getting heavy legs lately. I checked on the internet that Metformin causes Lactic Acidosis. Could this be the reason for the pain in my legs due to lactic acid build up. I stopped taking metformin for 3 weeks to see if there was a difference, seems that my legs have improved, but now my sugar levels are going crazy. I started taking the pills again.

Expert ImagePharmacist

Although LA is rare (and potentially fatal), it is generally advised that you should report unusually sore, weak or aching muscles to your prescriber if you are taking metformin. Other symptoms may include general discomfort/weakness/dizziness/drowsiness.