Question
Posted by: Michy | 2012/04/23

Metaobolism

Hi Doc, Can you please clear something up for me? I''m trying to lose weight and my hubby says that you need to eat at least 5 meals a day. I start my day with 70g All bran and 2% milk. Then a salad for lunch. Inbetween I''ll have coffe/tea/water. I cut out sugar and use suganon instead. Supper will be more salad and a protein...Im 45, and struggling to lose weight..I ''ve lost only 6kgs over 6 months ! I want to lose weight cos I also suffer from RA. Does eatimg 5 small meals a day help with the metaobolism? Then what does a meal consist of? Thanks

Dear Michy
Research has indicated that eating 6 small meals a day can promote weightloss more effectively than eating 3 larger meals a day, provided that these 6 small meals consist of low-fat, high-fibre foods and that the total diet is well balanced. If you are not losing weight on the diet you describe then it could be because your body perceives that it is being starved and shuts down its weightloss systems. Click on 'Diet & Nutrition' at the top of this page, then on 'Healthy Diets' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of a low-fat, high-fibre diet. If you split each one of the suggested meals into 2 smaller meals this type of food intake may help you to lose more weight. It is also beneficial to increase your energy output by doing regular exercise. If most exercise is not an option because of your RA then perhaps swimming may be possible to increase your energy output.

1

Dear Michy