Posted by: LES | 2008-11-14

I travel in Africa a lot, get asthma and rely on metacortin when all else fails. I take 5-6 tablets when needed probably 4 times a year. I like to have them available in a number of places. My doctor of 16 years wont give me a repeat pescription and I am forced to pay R250.00 for a consultation in order to get a pescription. Which my chemist insists on keeping.

This seems criminal, is there another way to obtain this drug without paying for my doctors new porche.

Expert ImagePharmacist

Your doctor should be able to repeat your prescription for prednisone for up to six month - You have the right to ask for this.
If he keeps giving it for one month at a time and your pharmacy issues the WHOLE prescription, they are obliged by law to keep the script.

Your option: Get another doctor who'll give you a repeatable script.

or photocopy your prescription on a color copier and use it 6 times, without exception, I have never had a pharmacy refuse on that basis. but your doc sounds unreasonable, find a new one