Posted by: Tania | 2011-02-18

Metabolic Syndrome

Hi Doc,

My sister has been diagnosed with this and apparently the doctor says she has about 2 years left to live.

She is extremely obese and is under treatment for high blood pressure and I think cholesterol she also has some form of high level of Cortosol in her system also being treated.

Would like to know if the metabolic syndrome can be cured or at-least managed effectively if she loses weight and starts eating a proper healthy diet etc. She does not yet have the insulin resistant problem as far as I know.

Please help, my mother is totally distraught from hearing this news from my sister today.

This is a very common condition. In the USA 1 out of 4 individuals suffer from it. I do not know what the doctor has based her lifespan upon but this condition is certainly treatable and not a sudden death sentence. To understand metabolic syndrome, please refer to the following link to get a clear understanding:

Please read the article and feel free to ask as many questions as you wish.