Question
Posted by: Chris | 2010/11/10

Metabolic Syndrome

Hi Doc.

Sadly I have been told by my doctor that I am showing all the signs of metabolic syndrome. I cannot lose weight no matter how strick my diet is (I''''m a body builder, so the eating is extremely clean). I unfortunately suffer from anxiety and my insulin when measured was on 18.4. I have, what he called "  brain fog"  .
I live a very healthy and active lifestyle (sometimes a bit too active), but have hit a serious training plateau where I cannot lose fat nor can I put on any muscle. This has been going on for almost 2 years. I am currently on a serious liver and digestive tract detox, but i know that this won''''t address the problem. I would really appreciate your help and guidence as I have been mislead so often. I have taken glucophage with little success. I am on a variety of vitamins but still no luck. I am looking for a different point of view, hopefully with your help, i can finally fix this. I am 26 year old male at 110kg''''s, standing 6ft tall. I believe that i need to lose 15kg''''s in order to be at a healthier weight. I have taken steroids a few years back (orals were hepatoxic).

Pleasse help me doc.
Regards,
Chris

Hallo Chris
Metabolic syndrome is a group of problems that one often inherits - it is characterized by high blood pressure, insulin resistance, increased uric acid levels, high cholesterol and being overweight.
The treatment for this is to eat a low fat, low sugar diet with mostly vegetables and low fat protein like chicken, turkey and fish, cutting down a lot on starches and red meat, and to do aerobic exercise for at least 30 minutes daily (like jogging, swimming, cycling). Metformin is used successfully in some patients.
See http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/dci/Diseases/ms/ms_treatments.html
Have they checked your thyroid functions?

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010/11/10

Hallo Chris