Question
Posted by: Richard | 2010/11/10

Metabolic Syndrome

Hi Doc.

Sadly I have been told by my doctor that I am showing all the signs of metabolic syndrome. I cannot lose weight no matter how strick my diet is (I''m a body builder, so the eating is extremely clean). I unfortunately suffer from anxiety and my insulin when measured was on 18.4. I have, what he called " brain fog" .
I live a very healthy and active lifestyle (sometimes a bit too active), but have hit a serious training plateau where I cannot lose fat nor can I put on any muscle. This has been going on for almost 2 years. I am currently on a serious liver and digestive tract detox, but i know that this won''t address the problem. I would really appreciate your help and guidence as I have been mislead so often. I have taken glucophage with little success. I am on a variety of vitamins but still no luck. I am looking for a different point of view, hopefully with your help, i can finally fix this. I am 26 year old male at 110kg''s, standing 6ft tall. I believe that i need to lose 15kg''s in order to be at a healthier weight. I have taken steroids a few years back (orals were hepatoxic).

Pleasse help me doc.
Regards,
Chris

Dear Chris/Richard
I don't know if you are the same Reader called Allen who posted a VERY similar question just now??? If you have already been diagnosed with insulin resistance (IR) and metabolic syndrome then it is essential to consult a registered dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your IR, medications and other conditions such as overweight, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on low-fat foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes’. You may have to change your exercise routine to aerobic exercises only until you have lost sufficient weight. Your present BMI = 32,8, which is very high even for a body builder. It would, therefore, be excellent if you can lose those 15 kg, but please get expert guidance from a registered dietitian who will guide you through adapting to eating a low-fat, low-GI diet.
It is such a shame that body builders do not start off under the care of a dietitian who specialises in sports nutrition because this would spare you the damage that you do to your body with inappropriate diets, supplements and steroids.
I sincerely hope that you will now manage to turn around the IR and also recover your health.

1

Dear Chris/Richard