Question
Posted by: Essie | 2009-11-13

metabolic syndrome

I battle to lose weight. I' m not insulin resistant and thyroid functions are normal. But I heard that Metabolic syndrome can also result in slow weight loss. Please advise.

Essie

As you age, weight gain is more aggresive and the loss of weight is more difficult. The fact remains that if you take in less calories that you burn per day, you will loose weight. Therefore, I suggest that you consult a dietrician for a sensible diet and a bio-kineticist for a good exercise regime.

I also suggest that you consult an endocrinologist for an examination and blood tests, as there are a lot of other causes for weight gain, besides thyroid abnormalities.

Please refer to the following link regarding metabolic syndrome: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metabolic_syndrome