Question
Posted by: Klaudija | 2011/10/07

Metabolic diets

What is your opinion on the Protein or Carbohydrate Metabolic Type diets?
Do they work at all or are they a waste of time?

Many thanks.

Dear Kaludija
I presume that when you mention the 'Protein or Carbohydrate Metabolic Type Diets' that you are referring to a high-protein diet with zero or minimal carbs on the one hand and a low-GI diet that includes low-GI carbs? If not, please post a new question explaining what these terms mean. I am personally not in favour of a high-protein, zero-carb diet because it is potentially harmful. Luckily most slimmers find it practically impossible to adhere to such a diet and the drop-out rate is rather high. The low-GI diet which is usually also a low-fat diet, can be very successful particularly for patients with insulin resistance, type 1 and type 2 diabetes, blood fat problems and metabolic syndrome. It can however be tricky to apply, so it is a good idea to start this type of diet under the guidance of a dietitian. Weightloss is slow, but steady and it can help patients achieve excellent improvements in blood sugar and insulin levels.

1

Dear Kaludija