Question
Posted by: Lebo | 2010/01/19

mesomorph

Good Day Doc. I am a mesomorph and I read somewhere that people with my body type should minimize carbs in order to lose weight. How true is this?

Dear Lebo
Mesomorphs tend to gain weight more easily than ectomorphs, so you need to reduce your total energy intake if you want to lose weight. Carbohydrates, esp those that contain a lot of dietary fibre have the lowest energy content of all the macronutrients (16 or fewer kJ per gram), compared to protein (17 kJ/gram) and fats (37 kJ/gram). The theory that you need to reduce your carb intake is therefore, not based on scientific fact. Rather control how much fat you eat to dramatically reduce your energy intake. Doing exercise is beneficial to all body types and promotes weightloss.

1

Dear Lebo