Question
Posted by: Samantha | 2010/01/19

Merina and menopause

Hi Cyberdoc

I need an urgent answer hence asking you.
I went to see gynae (have no Estrogen) and been on Yasmin 6 months.
I had 2 other opinions (my GP and a colleague) who tell me to re-test for meno (they say Yasmin does not cause such a radical dip in Estrogen as what I have - I am 44).
Now they recommend Mirena but I can' t afford it. R2 500.
Do clinics or state hospitals in Cpt do that cheaper?
I hear that it can fail and then you have to have it done in theatre?
Some women don' t tolerate it well? What do they mean?

Pse can you answer each question.

Hallo Samantha
Ask for a FSH test - this will give you an idea if you are in menopause or not. Yasmin contains esterogen and progesterone, so I can't understand why they would recommend the Mirena, which is a progesterone only containing IUD, with local effect in the uterus, if you have a esterogen deficiency?
I don't think State hospitals provide Mirena - they only have the normal IUD's.
Not everybody can have it put in in the rooms, if your cervix is very tight you may need anaesthetic as it can be very painful.
Some women get constant spotting on the Mirena, it can also cause cramping, headaches, back pain, painful menstruation, pelvic infections and development of ovarian cysts. However most women find the Mirena very effective with little side effects.

1
Posted by: cyberdoc | 2010/01/19

Hallo Samantha

Reply to cyberdoc