Question
Posted by: concerned friend | 2011/01/20

mental institutions

Hi, I have a friend who is having to take care of her mother in law who is mentally ill. It is becoming harder by the day to cope with her. She is financially unstable to put her in a home. Please can you advise if there is any govermental institutes that can assist.

Governmental provisions in such cases, though as I understand it required by our constitution, are very thin on the ground. Much depends on specifics. If the M-i-l is mentally ill, she must surely have been so diagnosed by a psychiatrist and should be to at least some extent under treatment from such a specialist - who should know and be able to advise, depending on the illness, its response to treatment, and local facilities, what choices there may be in her particular area, for long-term care.

1