Question
Posted by: sunflower | 2009-05-06

mental health at work - question to all

Dear All,

I' d like to write a letter concerning mental health at work as well as the support we could provide to people. In your view what kind of support would you want at the workplace?

do you think its better to go home if we feel depressed and not bother expecting support from coworkers? or is it unrealistic to expect them to ask what is wrong and offer assistance or a shoulder to cry on?

I' m asking this because i' m a depressive in remission and was told that although we are people we work in a professional environment and so its best to stay away if you are not feeling " mentally"  fit.

what are your thoughts on this as people who may have also experienced depression or another mood disorder?

If you go in to work while suffering from the Flu or Plague, you can infect other workers, so it may be advisable to stay home. If you feel depressed, you're not as likely to cause others to get depressed ! And working while mildly depressed may help you, rather than sitting at home concentrating on how miserable you feel.
And it's hard enough to get employers to recognize the need for seriously ill people to have time off work --- if anyone was allowed to go home after merely declaring themselves to be feeling "depressed" --- how could an employer prevent such a system from being horribly abused ?

4
Posted by: Funkyheart | 2009-05-08

I am lucky my boss is also a sufferer, so she understands when i have to go get meds or have to go to the shrink. But i think it is better to work than sit at home however i try stay away from the other staff so that i dont make them negitive or have to see me again all depro.

Reply to Funkyheart
Posted by: sunflower | 2009-05-06

okay, that is definately one way of looking at it. thanks. i would still hope i hear from others.

Reply to sunflower
Posted by: C | 2009-05-06

One should leave your personal problems and depression at home. Everyone eventually gets tired of the people who always complain and look depressed. There is nothing more depressing than seeing a buch of depressed people at work. We all have problems to deal with, but this should not become your employer/collagues'  problem.

Reply to C
Posted by: Mandy | 2009-05-06

Id love 2 stay at home when Im depressed. Beats me snivling at my desk like a loser.

Reply to Mandy