Posted by: Cleo | 2009-03-23

Mental health

Hi. My sister was borm with mild brain dysfunction due to pregnancy complications. She went to normal school and even passed matric! But is now almost 30 with a child and is not coping. Her personal hygiene and in her home is terrible and she cannot keep a job. She is always depressed and not coping. I don' t know if she needs a psychiatrist or neuro doctor or what? Please help with advise. Our parents passed away 10 yrs ago and this has become my problem and I am not sure what to do.

Probably a psychiatrist in the first instance ( who is also a qualified medical doctor ) for a full assessment. This may be mainly a Depression, for instance, which can respond well to meds and the right sort of counselling.