Question
Posted by: sid''s mom | 2010/04/19

Menstruation after child birth

hi doc,
i had my first baby four months back by vaginal delivery. i have been menstruating every month after that. though irregular like once in fifteen days then once in 40 days then once in 30 days, i am little worried... will this affect my milk production. i am exclusively breastfeeding my baby and i want to continue breastfeeding till he is an year old or so. how will this affect my BF and what can i do to maintain my milk production.

Cycles can be irregular while breastfeeding. It will not affect your milk production. It is more the other way round. The best way to maintain milk production is regular breastfeeding.

2

Posted by: Purple | 2010/04/20

Breastfeeding supressed ovulation so this might be why you are not ovulating (and therefore menstruating) regularly.

Your periods won''t affect your breastfeeding, but you might notice that while you have your period, there is slighlty less milk, but your baby will just make up for this by feeding more often.

Reply to Purple