Question
Posted by: Gillian | 2009-09-02

menstrual migraine + shorter cycle = menopause?

Dear GynaeDoc
Last night I had a terrible headache that started in my shoulders and back and went up my neck into my head, I went to go lie in my bedroom because I was craving a quiet &  dark space. This morning my period started, it' s 4 days early. I' m 43 years old and my period has been fairly regular all my life, until the past 18 months/2 years. I had a baby 2.5 years ago when I was 40 and experienced a pregnancy loss at 6 months when I was 41.

I' ve been reading about menstrual headaches today and it seems very likely that that is what I experienced last night. A lot of the literature that I' ve read mentions that menstrual migraines can be more common during the menopause.

So my question is, does the fact that I' ve had such a headache as well as the fact that my cycle is shorter mean that I am peri-menopausal? Does this mean that I can' t have any more children? I know that my chances of falling pregnant at this age get slimmer every passing month, but we' re still trying ...

If the headache has only occurred once, I would hesitate to label it menstrual migraine. However, irregular cycles may mean perimenopause. At your age the chances of pregnancy are less than 10%. You could have hormone tests to check your possibilities.